How to grow older without growing old (hardcopy)
About this Book
It’s a myth that you’re old when you reach seventy, eighty or ninety. There’s a difference between growing older and getting old. Old age is a destination. Growing older is a journey. Growing older is inevitable; but growing old is optional. Your chronological age is not as important as your biological age. Your biological age depends on many factors – all of which are partially, and sometimes entirely, within your control.
There is no such thing as a gene responsible for aging. Genes in total do play some role. If your parents lived to be 100, you have a better chance of living to a ripe old age. But your genes only influence longevity by about 30%. The remaining 70% is predominantly determined by lifestyle choices and attitude, which include everything from the food you eat and the amount of sleep you get to the number of friends you have and the environment in which you live.
In this book Harold Taylor, an octogenarian, includes his own experiences as well as research findings on those things that will help you live a long, happy, healthy and purposeful life throughout your senior years. He includes a chapter directed at those who work with seniors as well, and information on avoiding, delaying, and even masking the symptoms of dementia and Alzheimer’s through “cognitive reserve.”